Monday, January 30, 2012

Hanging Bed Project

I'm working on a design for a "hanging" bed for the NV. More later.

Something like this:


I'm planning to use plastic coated cable to hang the bed. The idea is that it will be raise-able when not in use so that more space is available for living and storage underneath.

I plan to use rubber wrapped steel cable to suspend the bed from the roof and build a wood platform for the bed itself that attaches at the sides to four cables that come down. I want to be able to easily raise the bed up to the roof when it is not in use and when traveling so that we have a lot of room underneath during the day..

I plant to put up some photos as I get going on it. I've got a big website project that is tying me up right now but I should get some time in the next few weeks to get on this project. I want to be ready to go by April!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, just found your blog through the cheap living site. I would like to know how you are liking the NV. I am seeking real world info because I'm considering this vehicle for my next "home". The Datsun/Nissans I've owned in the past have been very reliable, am hoping this one is also. Plus, finally I'll be able to stand up. If you could, please let me know how its treating you, thanks. Rog [greenport31@gmail.com]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I really like it. What is great about it is that it is much cheaper than the Sprinter. I love standing up! The cab is very nice and comfortable for long trips, like a big expensive truck would be. Mileage is not that great 15-19 mpg I am estimating, but not that bad either.

      The fact that the NV fits in regular sized parking spaces is really great. You can slip into neighborhoods, parallel park and sleep - except that it does kinda stand out and people want to know about the van.

      What I want to improve: There are no windows along the side of the van. We plane to add a tinted window with a sliding airway to get fresh air inside. We are going to get a roof rack to put stuff up on and buy a collapsible ladder in order to get stuff up there with ... or maybe find a ladder that can attach to one of the back doors. Maybe then get a Thule clone box to attach to the roof rack. We want to get a couple of those self-bailing sea kayaks to go on top.

      I need to get an auxiliary deep storage battery (marine) setup figured out that can charge off the alternator. There is a power outlet in the back that I could plug a batter charger into while driving, to begin with, until I get something better worked out.

      We are very pleased so far and have enjoyed camping in it a whole lot. We do get jealous when see the Sprinters with the full RV setup but then we think about the 60-90 grand we probably saved and then do a jig.

      Delete

Not responsible for comments posted by third parties. Comments are moderated. There is no guarantee on comment accuracy or appropriateness. Read at your own risk. Attached are comments from readers. In no way do they represent the views of Wayfarernaut authors.